Founder of Elite Akademy
“I have always enjoyed working with people who are driven, hardworking and are always pushing the boundaries of perfection to perform better. This brings out the best in them, and us. A win-win situation”
Some Career Highlights
- APA Titled Sports Physiotherapist for the Melbourne University Elite Athlete Unit – Comprising of 24 of Melbourne’s best Athletes who compete in the Summer Olympics, Winter Olympics, World and National Championships.
- Head of Sports Medicine – Elite Akademy Sports Medicine, University of Melbourne, Australia
- Founded the Vigor Sports Medicine Clinic chain in Melbourne, Australia. These are the biggest sports medicine clinics in their respective regions and have been for more than a decade.
- Lecturer, Consultant and Mentor in Australia, India, China, Sri Lanka, Singapore.
- Published Author with over 75,000 copies in circulation globally.
- Regular Media Guest Expert and Consultant – Health & Wellbeing for the population.
Kusal Goonewardena’s Biography
Since 1999 Kusal Goonewardena has worked with athletes and teams, travelling around the world, providing his athletes with the utmost care. He provides the most up to date techniques to prevent injury, provide rapid recovery if injured, enhance performance and win.
His training has included a Masters in Sports Physiotherapy at Latrobe University, Bachelor in Physiotherapy from the world renowned University of Melbourne, and now is looking at completing his PhD in Sports Performance Enhancement in Melbourne to complete his specialization in a field that he loves.
He founded the Vigor Sports Medicine Clinics in Melbourne which are the only orthopaedic teaching schools for overseas trained physiotherapists in Australia. A keen lecturer and mentor he has personally helped over 1000 physiotherapists to shape their careers in sports physiotherapy.
He has released three books, ‘3 Minute Workouts’, ‘Back Pain – Rebuild, Recover, Revitalise’ and ‘Natural Healing – Quiet and Calm’.
He is currently the head of sports medicine and the official provider for the Melbourne University Sport Elite Athlete Program & Representative Teams – totalling about 400 athletes that Kusal helps fine tune and improve performance in each year. Since working with the University of Melbourne in 2002 the university has finished in the top 3 for the Australian University Games in all years bar one. It also won this national championship on 2 occasions.
Some of his wonderful athletes have included Katya Crema – Winter Olympian and Ski Cross Champion, Christian Williams – Australian National Archer, Jeff Tho – Commonwealth Games badminton semi -finalist, Luke Chong – Oceania badminton champion, Lachlan Norris – Australian Professional Cyclist and Motor Cross champion, Tom Swallow – Australian U-23 volleyball champion, Phoebe Stanley – Australian Olympic Rower, Freddy Ovett – Australian Cyclist/Triathlete and Michelle Motteram – Victorian State Touch Rugby.